Join our Board of Directors!
FCSSGW is an integral part of the community and provides mental health and social services to a growing number of individuals, families, and children. These services guide people through life’s challenges, whether emotional, developmental or professional. The programs provided by FCSSGW deeply impact people’s lives.
We are currently recruiting new members to serve on our Board of Directors. Specifically, we are seeking to fill the role of Board Treasurer, as well as 1 – 2 general Board vacancies. These are volunteer positions serving Guelph and Wellington County and surrounding areas. Serving on our Board of Directors will provide you the opportunity to play a critical role in ensuring that our vision, mission and values continue to meet the needs of our community.
- Minimum 3-year term
- Average of 2 – 4 hrs per month to:
- Review Board meeting materials
- Attend Board / Committee meetings
- Attend the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Occasionally attend agency or community events
- Participation in at least one Board Committee (e.g. Marketing & Communications, Governance, etc.)
Board meetings occur bi-monthly on weekday evenings from fall through spring. Committee meetings generally occur between Board meetings and the AGM typically occurs in September.
In addition to the above, the Treasurer role also includes the following responsibilities, which generally require an additional commitment of roughly 4 hours per month (on occasion, more time will be required, for example, during the annual budgeting exercise and preparing for the AGM):
- Oversight of financial operations of the organization
- Quarterly review of financial position and operations relative to established measures and benchmarks
- In-depth review of budget with staff for monthly, quarterly and annual budgeting exercise
- Oversight of organization investments and reserves
- Board Executive decision making (as required by the Board President)
- Previous Board experience, ideally in a not-for-profit community services agency
- Knowledge / expertise in one or more of the following areas: finance, regulatory compliance, IT management, not-for-profit governance, areas of FCSSGW’s activities
- Knowledge and understanding of community services and their functions is ideal
- Availability to attend Board & Committee meetings, AGM and occasional agency or community events
- Treasurer candidates should also be skilled at financial analysis, with the abilities to read and interpret financial statements – CPA designation is ideal, as is knowledge in taxation / investment / internal controls
Interested candidates should submit a resume to FCSSGWBoardofDirectors@familyserviceguelph.on.ca, along with a cover message that explains your interest in joining our Board of Directors. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position and regret that we are able to contact only those being invited for an interview.
FCSSGW believes in an inclusive work environment and encourages qualified applicants from all cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, sexual/gender identities, abilities and beliefs to apply.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Codes, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the agency’s Accommodation Policy, accommodations will be provided at any point throughout the selection process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to FCSSGW.